Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila dominated Rally Mexico to triumph ahead of team-mates Sébastien Ogier and Julien Ingrassia and fight their way back into the world title race. They also earned the Polo R WRC its twelfth win in a row, equalling the longest winning run in the history of the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC). The win also marked Latvala/Anttila’s first at the Rally Mexico, and the 16th of their careers.
It's also worth noting that 80,000 fans flocked to Guanajuato to watch the rally start live, whilst a total of 300,000 spectators lined the special stages.
At the finish Jari-Matti Latvala said: “I am very happy and satisfied. This is a fantastic result, not just for me, but for the whole team. After the disappointing results in the first two events, it was important to finally pick up points. I managed that with the win. Naturally, I had a good basis with my starting position this weekend, but the longest rally of the season still had to be mastered. We found a good set-up and also chose the right tactics.“
Sébastien Ogier added: "All in all, second place for Julien and I was the best-possible result this weekend. Thanks to victory on the Power Stage, we picked up 21 important points in the championship standings, which is what counts overall. Naturally, I would have hoped to stage a more exciting duel with Jari-Matti for the many fans. But there was no way that was possible; our road conditions on the first two days were far too different. That's not taking anything away from his performance, Jari-Matti thoroughly deserved the win and my congrats go to him and Miikka.”
FIA World Rally Championship (WRC), Rally Mexico – Final Results
01. Jari-Matti Latvala/Miikka Anttila (FIN/FIN), Volkswagen, 4h 25m 57.4s
02. Sébastien Ogier/Julien Ingrassia (F/F), Volkswagen, + 1m 05.0s
03. Dani Sordo/Marc Martí (E/E), Hyundai, + 3m 37.9s
04. Mads Østberg/Ola Fløene (N/N), Ford, + 5m 36.4s
05. Hayden Paddon/John Kennard (NZ/NZ), Hyundai, + 6m 22.6s
06. Ott Tänak/Raigo Mõlder (EST/EST), Ford, + 9m 59.5s
07. Martin Prokop/Jan Tománek (CZ/CZ), Ford, + 12m 58.5s
08. Lorenzo Bertelli/Simone Scattolin (I/I), Ford, + 14m 09.6s
09. Teemu Suninen/Mikko Markkula (FIN/FIN), Škoda, + 18m 01.8s
10. Valery Gorban/Volodymyr Korsia (UA/UA), Mini, + 32m 37.3s